OK, so the title is little corny, but you get what I’m getting at.
With the new James Bond, Quantum of Solace, coming out this week, I feel that now is a perfect time to revisit the best and worst of James Bond.
First, a bit on my Bond background and my thoughts
I have seen 22 of the 23 Bond movies multiple times, not counting the one made for CBS. I’ll give you one guess as to which Bond movie I have never seen, it’s one of the two “unofficial” Bond movie. My first Bond movie ever was For Your Eyes Only, and like most others who saw a Bond movie for the first time, I fell in love with the character, so I do feel a bit bias towards it. I have read Casino Royale about a third of the way through before I lost the book. I have definitely pretended I was James Bond in my youth and even have ordered “a martini, shaken, not stirred” before even though I don’t drink.
I don’t think there was ever a bad Bond, Lazenby didn’t get the chance to prove his worth after just one movie and Dalton was only acting like the character in the book, but was just too dark for its’ time. Craig is doing just that and getting praised for it.
Now for the lists-
- Sean Connery – He pretty much personified who Bond really is.
- Daniel Craig – After just one movie, he pretty much reinvented Bond, but also save the Franchise.
- Pierce Brosnan – Got people back into seats after a long lay off and disappointing Bond movies.
- Timothy Dalton – Under rated, mainly because of the time his movies were made, I recommend you go back and revisit his movies.
- George Lazenby – Was a competent Bond, but just don’t have enough to analyze.
- Roger Moore – Over rated, his best movies were when he was playing a darker Bond, but he always wanted to play the loving Bond. At one time I would have argued that he was the best, but then I wised up. I kind of lost a bit of a respect from him after recent comments that the new Bonds are too violent. Did he read the Books??? (He was 5 before I read his comments.)
BEST BOND GIRL
- Vesper played by Eva Green in Casino Royale 2006 – Bad and Good, she portrays what I think a Bond girl should be to the tee.
- Honey played by Ursula Andress in Dr. No – As the first Bond girl, she set the bar way high, which is why it took 22 movies to find someone better.
- Tatiana played by Daniela Bianchi in From Russia With Love.
- Kara played by Maryan D’Ado in The Living Daylights.
- Domino played by Claudine Auger in Thunderball.
I already know people will have a problem with this list. “where is Pussy Galore, Anya Amasova, or Xania Onatopp” All good choice, and with so many girls, there is bound to have a bunch of variation on this list. This my.
BEST BOND GADGET
- JetPack in Thunderball – Not a gadget now, but was ground breaking at the time. I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t want to take a ride on a jetpack.
- Lotus Esprit in The Spy Who Loved Me – Come on, the freakin car turns into a submarine. SOLD!!!
- Camera Gun in License to Kill – It’s been done many more time since, but I believe Bond was the originator, plus it’s a sniper gun not just a close range one.
- Mobile Phone in Tomorrow Never Dies – Ok the phone contains a stun gun, fingerprint scanner, and when flipped open it remotely controls Bonds BMW 750.
- Swiss Army Briefcase in From Russia With Love – Secret compartment, .22 rifle with infrared scope, 50 gold sovereigns, tear gas cartridge, throwing knifes and spare ammo. what else would you need.
Notable, Laser watch in Goldeneye.
BEST VILLIAN GADGET
- The Golden Gun in The Man With The Golden Gun.
- Oddjob’s Bowler Hat in Goldfinger.
- Dagger Shoe in From Russia With Love.
- Yo-Yo Saw in Octopussy.
BEST BOND SONG
- Live and Let Die by Paul McCartney and Wings
- Goldfinger by Shirley Bassey
- Nobody Does it Better by Carly Simon (The Spy Who Loved Me)
- Diamonds are For Ever by Shirley Bassey
- The World is Not Enough by Garbage
Notables, Thunderball, Goldeneye, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, and For Your Eyes Only.
BEST BOND MOVIE
- Dr. No – no contest.
- From Russia With Love – Dr. No pulled you in, From Russia kept you coming.
- Casino Royale 2006- Pretty much reinvented the James Bond Series and saved the franchise.
- Goldfinger – This is where you start to realize who bond is, plus this is also when he become dependent on gadgets.
- Goldeneye – six years after the last Dalton movie, Bond had lost it’s luster, that is until this movie came out. Great update of the series with high-tech, action-packed feel.
Notables – Thunderball, For Your Eyes Only, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, and The Spy Who Loved me.
WORST BOND MOVIE
- Casino Royale (1967) – Did you guess which movie I hadn’t seen?
- A View To a Kill – Just plain bad.
- Octopussy – Formulaic and just plain silly.
- The World is Not Enough – A lot of ppl think Die Another Day is Brosnan’s worst but I disagree.
- Never Say Never Again – In case you didn’t know, this is the other unofficial Bond movie.
Notables, Die Another Day, The Man With The Golden Gun, and Moonrakers.
I know a lot of you wont agree with my selections. What would you change and why?